Sunday 17 October 2010

My first cat

Friday the 15th of October, A day I remember forever. For this was the day that I took part in my very first Alley cat.
To say I was nervous before would be an understatement. I arrived at the Clerk and Well at about 7 and registered to race with Overdrive.  I began to feel the nerves raise a but more with every passing minute, that and the fact it was getting colder by the second, so I popped into the pub and got a pint of Kronenburg to warm me up and for a bit of Dutch courage. The Kronenburg and the half a pack of Marlboro lights that I smoked in the hour leading up to the race seemed to help.

Finally at about 8:30 we were called down to the start, I jumped on my bike and all I could feel was my knees locking up through the waiting around and the coldness. once I got moving though everything freed up.

We got to the start line on Warner street and was told to go to the viaduct above the road, so 29 of us pile up the steps and looked down to see our bikes being moved around, just to make it more interesting.

Finally we were almost ready to go. The first checkpoint destination was being held below us and all you could see was flashing red and white lights like a mass of Christmas trees brightly flashing in the cold night air.

Everyone was ready and pumped up, Adrenalin was beginning to kick in now and the nerves were slowly making their way out of my mind. Then the words everyone was waiting eagerly to hear were shouted.......
"GO"

Everyone rushed down the steps to find out where we had to go and to try and find our bikes.

The Renoir Cinema on Brunswick square  was our first destination, Now I was more excited then nervous so much so I completely lost all sense of were I was heading. So the only logical thing to do was to follow the crowd, Thankfully it worked and I arrived at the first Checkpoint probably in about 15th place.

The next checkpoint was at Leicester Place, just off Leicester Square, again I think the excitement got the better of me. I knew where it was but as soon as I got to Leicester Square I took a wrong turn and ended up having to stop and have a look at my A-Z to regain my bearings, This cost me valuable time and probably dropped me down a few places. Finally I found it and was then sent to Charlie Chaplin Walk which is underneath the Imax.

Again I had no idea where this actual road was but I knew where the Imax was so it was only a matter of process of elimination. I make my way down the Strand and across Waterloo Bridge and proceeded down the path that leads to Upper ground then down the path at the side, where I realised that I had head down the underpass, Finally I had found a checkpoint with out to many problems or the use of my A-Z .

The Next Checkpoint I was sent to the Barbican, Finally somewhere I knew without any problems, thanks partly due to the fact that my office is 5 minutes away from the Barbican, So off I go heading back over the Waterloo Bridge around Aldwych and up Fetter lane, where I get to Holborn Circus and wait for a break in traffic and go for it. By this time I know have about 5 people following me. kind of Ironic seen as this is my first cat and Im a complete novice.

I get to the Barbican and get my next destination, the City sprint office on Scrutton Street, Now this is one of those places where you have been a million times bit in the heat of the moment you forget where it is. I knew it was off Paul Street but just couldn't remember where about it was. Finally I found it and get to the check point where we have to write a joke on the card for Seamus ( the injured courier for whom the Cat was arranged for) I went with the Classic and my all time favourite of " did you hear about the magic Tractor? it turned into a field"

By this point I'm beginning to feel it a bit and my legs are beginning to tire and I am in desperate need of a beer.

Thankfully I am informed that the next checkpoint is in fact the last one where there will be beer waiting for me.

So this is it the final leg of what has been a truly exhilarating experience, it didnt feel like I had been riding for probably close to an hour. The time had flown by.
So off to Acton Mews  in search of beer and fellow racers, I still have one guy in tow as well, so I know as long as I can stay in front of him then I wont get the DFL- Dead Fucking Last.

I know that once i have reached the canal I am only yards away from finishing, I see the road rise and I know that I am almost there, I turn the corner and I see a mass of people and bikes I pedal that little bit harder to ensure that the guy behind me wont pass me and I'm there, I have finished, I have completed my first Alley Cat and I havent come last, my mission has been accomplished

I am greeted by Overdrive and all the other racers, at this point I have no idea where I finished in the race, I know I didnt win and I know I didnt come last. I grab a beer and try to work out where I finished, slowly but urely a few more riders turn up, In dribs and drabs some in two and threes and some on their own.

eventually I work out that there are at least 9 people that have come in behind me, so I work out that I must have finished about 20th, Im getting prouder and prouder with every rider that comes in behind me.

Finally the Last rider comes in and thats it the race is run and everyone is in a good mood, the beer is flowing and so are the stories, of close calls with cars, how a rider got a ticket by the cops in Leicester Square and feel off her bike and didnt make it to the other checkpoints.

The presentations are made and its announced that we made £130 for Seamus and it make you feel like you have done something special for someone.

I can safely say that was one of the most exhilarating experience of my life and that there will most definitely be more races to come, I had so much fun and I am really looking forward to the next race.

10-4

No comments:

Post a Comment